Frequently Asked Questions

What are my rights as a resident?

Program participants have the following rights:

Program participants also have the following rights unless restrictions have been placed by court rules or sentencing courts order:

Federal confidentiality regulations require that participants receive a written summary of their rights.

What am I allowed to have in the facility?

Participants may have seven pants, seven shirts, seven sets of underwear, three footwear, and one hat.  The clothing must not have any kind of drug/alcohol message or logo. Participants will provide their own hygiene items and other supplies.

What am I not allowed to bring into the facility?

No food or drinks can be brought into the facility, no personal pillow or mattress covers--(egg crates), no items valued at $100 or over

 The following items are not allowed on Reality House property:

 Sharp objects:  knives, scissors, razors, or any other object that can be deemed a weapon, guns or ammunition of any type, explosive liquids, gasses, solids (i.e., gasoline, fireworks, solvents, etc.) BIC lighter is okay, illegal drugs, alcohol, or any product that contains alcohol, drug paraphernalia (i.e., syringes, bongs, rolling papers, etc.), prescription drugs that are not on medication logs, dangerous chemicals (i.e., bleach, hair dye, vinegar, etc.), body building and/or diet drugs, pipes, rolling papers, snuff, and loose tobacco, books, magazines, photos, drawings etc. of nudity, crime, violence, alcohol, or drugs, racist or sexist materials, any electrical appliances (other than a clock or curling iron), any CD/tape player without headphones or larger than 12" on any side, cell phones, computers, pagers, cameras, or other electronic gadgets, sexual toys, aids, dolls, creams, etc. or any other items that might be seen as a danger to the individual, others, or facility.

Am I able to drive? If so what is the procedure?

Participants may be allowed to drive if approved by their Case Manager, referral agent, and they have completed a Request to Operate a Motor Vehicle form.  They must also have an ID sticker on the vehicle.

For those who do not drive, Reality House Programs, Inc. van will make hourly trips to the bus stop during their hours of operation. Look on the city bus website and be familiar with the

Bus Schedules to see the current pick up and drop off times.

Am I able to work while being a resident?

Work Release, Diversion Court, Missouri Department of Corrections:

 Employment requirements for local and state programming are dependent on the referring agency or court.

Federal Offenders:

 All participants are expected to be employed full-time (or the equivalent) within 15 calendar days from completion of the facility orientation program (or be involved in other full-time equivalent, constructive pursuits such as furthering their education, etc.). Many offenders are not employment-ready.  Because many offenders have histories of addiction and criminal activities, their knowledge, skill and abilities may not be current enough to support immediate employment.  In these cases, other forms of community involvement may be helpful and realistic, such as a high school equivalency program, a remedial reading program, a position as a volunteer at a community agency involvement or in a vocational training program.     

The Reality House Federal Social Services Coordinator will organize and supervise the Federal participants’ employment assistance through the Job Center and Job Point in accordance with, but not limited to the following:

Can I receive mail?

All RHP resident mail should be mailed to the following address:

Reality House Programs, Inc
P.O. Box 1507
Columbia, MO 65205

ATTN:  (resident’s name)

Envelope must have return address

All resident non legal mail will be opened under staff supervision

Newspapers will be delivered to the Reality house so offenders can read them.

What is the Policy on food services?

Participants may receive three meals per day while in the facility. If a participant is out of the facility during a meal period they may receive a sack lunch upon request.  

What is the procedure for laundry?

Each participant will be given a blanket, pillow, pillowcase, two sheets, two towels, and two washcloths.

What medical care is available for me?

In an emergency, RHP will obtain the necessary emergency medical treatment required to preserve the participant's life.  In all case of “EMERGENCY,” RHP staff will contact 911.  Emergency medical service is available 24 hours a day at all three local hospitals.  Staff must reference Operations “Serious Injury, Illness, Or Death” for extreme medical situations.

RHP will provide participants an opportunity to access medical care and treatment.  Our intent is to assist the participant in maintaining the continuity of medical care and treatment in accordance with the participant’s needs.

Who will pay for my medical expenses?

All expenses for a participant's medical and dental care will be the responsibility of each participant.  These may be personally paid or paid by the participant's insurance.  Each participant must acknowledge such on the Participant Intake form.   If the participant has no resources, RHP will make every effort to secure no-cost treatment.  If no-cost treatment is not possible, RHP will contact the referral agent to determine if the participant should be transferred to a different facility.

What is the procedure on medications?

All prescription and over-the-counter medication must be turned in to RHP staff when entering the facility.  Participants must take medication as prescribed and ensure that they have refills.  All prescription medication must be prescribed in the participant’s name, must be in the original bottle, and must not be expired.

Participants must notify staff when they need to take their medication.  All medication dosing must be logged by the participant.

Prescribed and Obtained:  All prescription medication must be prescribed by a licensed physician and obtained from a licensed pharmacy.  Due to the nature of RHP programming, medications containing alcohol or narcotics must be avoided.  If a physician prescribes a mind or mood altering substance, the RHP Case Manager or Counselor must get a release from the participant to talk with the physician about prescribing something more appropriate for our participant.  Over-the-counter (OTC) medications must be factory sealed and must be on our approved list.

Approved OTC Medications:  Questions regarding medications should be referred to a Section Director.  Participants may have a Case Worker, family member, or other trusted person deliver medication to them while on “lockdown” at RHP.  However, all requirements for labeling (next paragraph) must be met.

Can I store my own medications?

No, medications will be stored in a plastic zip-lock bag in a pocket file folder in a locked medication file cabinet located inside the administrative area (not accessible to participants).  Each participant taking medication at RHP will have a medication file that is kept along with the medication.  The file will only contain the medication(s), Medication Administration Record sheet, Incident Report forms, Medication Disposal Form, and other information related to the participant’s medication.  When the participant is discharged, they must sign the log and the file will be included with the participant’s permanent RHP file. All medication (includes over-the-counter) must be logged on a Medication Administration Record sheet during intake or whenever a participant first brings it into the facility.  All medication must be properly labeled with drug name, strength, dispense date, amount dispensed, directions for use, expiration date, name of individual dispensed to, and doctor’s name who prescribed medication.

All medication (includes over-the-counter) must be logged on a Medication Administration Record sheet during intake or whenever a participant first brings it into the facility. All medication must be properly labeled with drug name, strength, dispense date, amount dispensed, directions for use, expiration date, name of individual dispensed to, and doctor’s name who prescribed medication

Am I allowed to smoke?

Smoking is not allowed inside the facility.  Hand rolled cigarettes, chewing tobacco, snuff, and pipes are not allowed on RHP property.  All cigarette butts must be placed in the cigarette can or trash can.  Smoking is not allowed from midnight until 0600.  Participants on building or room restriction may smoke for ten minutes after meals and may smoke from 2350 until midnight.  Any outside smoking must occur at least 10 feet from the doorways.

Can I have visitors?


Do I have access to clergy?

We have special visitation times set for clergy visits to offenders every Sunday. These are Non-Denominational services inmates have access to attending. The offender also has the option to have one on one studies with the approved clergy visitor. Approved Clergy must make an appointment with our human resource manager, 573- 449-8117 ext 222.

Clergy, like all our contact volunteer staff, must submit to a criminal history check and be approved. Clergy wishing to be placed on the approved list must contact the Human Resource Manager to participate in this process.

How can I receive money?

All money that the offenders have should be brought into the facility as a drop off by approved persons, mailed in or brought in and given to security as a drop off upon their return into the building. They may have no more than $100 except for BCJ (they are allowed no more than $25 in change on them at a time).


Confidentiality Regulations:  Federal confidentiality regulations require that participants receive a written summary of their rights.